Sunday, August 4, 2013

Mayon Denton - Producer

Bio:


 As a student at UCLA, Mayon started his own production company, DRG Films. He has produced music videos, commercials, documentaries, TV pilots, and feature films. Over the last five years, Mayon has written, directed, and produced numerous projects. One of Mayon’s noteworthy projects is a feature-length documentary entitled “A Love Supreme: U-N-I & Ro Blvd.," a story that focuses on the evolution of Los Angeles' hip-hop culture. The project featured on of L.A.’s most recently successful hip-hop groups, “U-N-I.” It was screened at the MGM Towers in Los Angeles, inside the International Creative Management Theater (ICM). “A Love Supreme” received distribution and was sold in Target and Best Buy.

Mayon produced the feature film, “Fingerprints”(2013); the television pilot, “How to Succeed at Birth” (2012); an award winning short film, “Lil Tokyo Reporter”(2012); and the award winning feature film “Against the Grain.” “Against the Grain” premiered at the Hollywood Black Film Festival winning both the the Audience Award and the Honorable Mention for Best Feature Film. At the Pan African Film Festival, the film won the Audience Favorite Narrative Award. At the Gasparilla International Film Festival it received the Grand Jury Award for Filmmaking.

Mayon is currently developing and producing four other feature films, “Spin,” which is about the birth of the hip-hop culture in Los Angeles; “Wait a Minute Mr. Postman,” which is the story of the early writers and legends of Motown Records;"Primal/Ethereal," a coming of age story; and a thriller currently titled “Fallout Shelter.”

These projects have allowed Mayon to gain the knowledge to become the passionate filmmaker he has always envisioned himself to be. Mayon explains, “Filmmaking is my passion, my love, and my life. Every aspect of filmmaking fascinates me from the initial idea, which leads to the creative process, to the business side of filmmaking (the investment/money-making side). I am intrigued by the way in which a few words can metamorphasize into a screenplay, and finally . . . The completion of something great, that STORY, which can be watched, felt, and embedded into the hearts and minds of its viewers. The storytelling process is truly amazing!”
Mayon's IMDB Page

Cory on Mayon:

It may seem ridiculous now, but I was extremely anxious before my first meeting with Mayon (something I don’t think I ever told him). I first met Mayon in mid February of this year, and I was worried that he would be this smooth-talking moneyman, who might not like or “get” the project or want to change it to something different entirely. It was my first time meeting with a "Producer" in the role of director presenting my own project. My previous dealings with Producers as the Best Boy Grip were very straightforward in terms of ordering grip and electric equipment, reporting the Lost and Damaged (L&D), and doing payroll. Even though he was a friend of David's and had worked with many of my friends, I had never met him before and honestly still didn't know what to expect.

That was all laid to rest almost immediately. David and I met with Mayon at Muse on 8th, an ok vegan friendly coffee shop (I was conducting a month long vegan experiment at the time, so Mayon was probably more wary of me), and it became readily apparent that Mayon is exactly the type of person I like working with -- hard working with little ego (hence little drama), natural teacher, problem solver --  what i like to call the craftsman work ethic. He's also at the point in his career where he can pick and chose the projects he actually wants to involve himself with without having to chase any paycheck that comes along (very reassuring for a first time director). Mayon also has a unique sense empathy that allows him to be incredibly supportive for the vision of the directors and content makers he works with.

So, quite simply, I really couldn’t be more pleased to have Mayon as the producer on An Endgame and our many more projects to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment